What are steam refunds?
Steam offers you a way to get your money back on purchases that you recently made. Steam Refunds can be requested if you have bought a product on Steam (Games, Apps, In-App purchases & more) using your Steam wallet & even if you used some other ‘refundable’ payment methods.
Why would you want a refund?
Suppose you just purchased a game, tried it and didn’t like it for some reason or maybe some technical error stopped you from playing the game or your PC couldn’t run the game very well. In these cases, you can ask for a refund from steam. The process of getting the refund is very easy and won’t it take much time for steam to initiate your refund.
How to refund a game on Steam.
Here are a few easy steps to follow if want a refund for the game that you just bought. Just keep in mind that certain conditions do need to be met in order to get a refund successfully. If you want to read them beforehand, click here to jump to that section of this page.
In this specific scenario, I bought a game (Rainbow Six Siege). I played it for less than a couple of hours but didn’t like it or my PC was not able to handle it very well.
1. Firstly, on the Steam website or PC client click on your username which is on the top-right side of the screen and selects ‘Account details‘.
2. From there go to View Purchase History and click on the item you want to get the refund for.
3. On the next page select I would like a refund and then ‘I’d like to request a refund’.
4. On the pages that have appeared in front of you, select your reason for requesting a refund, I would suggest you write your problem in the box below, instead of selecting the listed terms. Once done click on Submit Request.
5. On the next page, you will see something like this.
Once you are done with all the steps, you will receive an email confirming the refund request. But be patient because sometimes it can take up to 7 days to get your steam refund request done. But if, for some reasons, your request didn’t go through. you can contact the Steam Support team and they will assist you from there.
The process might be very easy and simple but,
Keep the following things in mind:
- You can’t refund a game if you have played it for more than two hours.
- You can’t refund a game if 2 weeks (14 days) have passed by the time of your purchase.
- In-app purchases are refundable from Valve-developed games if requested under 24 hours of the initial purchase.
- No refund for items sold by other players (Community Market).
- DLC’s are also refundable if less than 2 weeks have passed by the purchase and you have not played the game for more than two hours since the install of the DLC.
- If you have paid using any other method than the steam wallet, then refunding might not be possible. For example ‘Domestic‘ credit & debit card purchases are not refundable.
- A single game from a bundle you bought is not refundable, however, you can request a refund for the whole bundle.
And one more thing to keep in mind is that, if you are requesting for refunds again & again, after some time steam will ban your account from requesting refunds. It has happened to one of my friends before so yeah, don’t keep requesting for refunds.
If you are unsure that whether the game will work on your system or not, try looking at minimum system requirements of the specific game, you can also search on youtube or ask on various forums to see if your system is capable of running the game in question. On their website steam clearly says that their refund system is not a way to try or play games for free. So yeah use it carefully.
So this marks the end of my little article about refunding a steam game & how to apply for it. If I missed anything or you would like to mention something, do write a comment below. I will try to help you as much as I can. Thank you for reading and do check out this post on how to change your Steam skin & also this one right here about websites to get steam games for cheap or free.